A report surfaced last week that the Giants are in full rebuild mode, with general manager Dave Gettleman letting it be known the Giants are “blowing up’’ the team.
That does not sound right, considering the Giants are committed to Eli Manning, their 37-year old quarterback, made left tackle Nate Solder, who will be 30 before taking a snap for the Giants, the highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL and signed Jonathan Stewart, a running back with 10 years in the league.
The Giants have the No. 2 pick in a draft that will be run for the first time by Gettleman, adding players for Pat Shurmur, their new head coach.
“We’re in a very cool position to have the No. 2 draft pick,’’ Tisch said. “We have a lot of options and I think with Shurmur and Gettleman being rookies, I think it’s a great opportunity for the team to go into this draft with options and two very fresh points of view coming from the GM and the head coach.’’
Well, yes, the inquiry was about a particular running back. The Giants own the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft and on the night of April 26 it is looking more likely than not they will use that lofty perch to select Barkley, the wunderkind running back from Penn State.
“When you watch his tape you don’t see anything he can’t do,’’ Shurmur said. “He can do everything you’re looking for in a running back, and then he’s a terrific human being as well. We got to spend some time at the [scouting] combine. Our people have been to see him, and I’m certainly going to get to learn more about him as we go, as well.”
It sure does not sound as if general manager Dave Gettleman thinks taking a running back with the No. 2 pick is too high.
The Giants and every team get to bring in 30 players for pre-draft visits and Barkley will be invited to spend time in East Rutherford, N.J. These visits, at the team facility, also include going out to dinner with members of the coaching staff and provide the most extensive fact-finding and getting-to-know-you opportunity leading up to the draft.